NEAR Club Rules
- Drivers must wear helmets at all times when on the racing surface.
- Drivers must wear seat belts at all times when on the racing surface.
- Fire-proof suits, gloves and shoes required for all on track activity.
- Cars are to be driven only by active members who have a current membership application on file.
- Absolutely no person without a valid state driver’s license or a person under 16 years of age may drive a car at any NEAR, Inc. event.
- All NEAR, Inc. events are for exhibition only. Exhibition means a display in which the primary purpose is to show the vehicles and where no race or competition of speed or endurance occurs. (CT State MVD regulation sec. 16-164a-2, subsection (d)).
- NEAR, Inc. will permit restored antique cars to participate in on track activities in a reasonable and controlled manner with limited speeds. Any car driven at excessive speed will be removed at once from the track. Out of control and incompetent driving will not be allowed. The event director shall name a designated winner and alternate for all events prior to the start of the event. No driver may be the designated winner for more than one event per year.
- Medical forms are required to be completed annually before the driver takes to the track.
- Any NEAR, Inc., member, board member or officer who participates in any of the events named in Section 7, shall do so at personal risk and does so without the authority or implied consent of the NEAR, Inc. organization.
- The event director is in control of the meet’s activities except may not be permitted to supersede any of the rules printed above.
- Cars must be, represent or be a replica of a race car that ran any time 1985 or before.
- Cars with offset chassis will be inspected and considered on a case by case basis
- All cars MUST have a fuel cell.
- All cars MUST have mufflers.
- Seat Belts: MUST be 5 point harness not over 5 yrs old.
- Cars MUST have a 1 gallon catch can.
- Battery kill switch/ Fuel shut-off switch REQUIRED.
- NO antifreeze/coolant.
- Ball joints, kingpins and tie-rods must be tight.
- Tires – good shape – NO dry-rot, cracks or other defects
- Two throttle return springs at 2 opposing points.
- Fire Extinguisher within driver’s reach.
- A full interior floor pan.
- Brake lines/fuel line mountings not inside driver’s compartment.
- Shocks – minimum 1 per wheel.
- Steering – no excessive play.
- Battery cover and rear view mirror REQUIRED.
- ALL drivers MUST have a fireproof driving suit (no holes), fireproof driving gloves and fireproof driving shoes
- Helmets must be Snell SA-2000 and newer
- No square-tube roll cages
Special interest cars may be permitted at events with advance approval from the NEAR Board of Directors.